About Me

My photo
Arlington, VA, United States
I am a graduate from Marquette University in Milwaukee, WI. I am currently living in the Washington, DC area working a retail position at a sporting goods store called Sport Fair. I love social media and to write about sports. I am a huge Marquette fan but have a passion for sports. I bleed BLUE & GOLD

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Hey Vince, let's get our Trophy Back!


Even though I was raised in the D.C. Area, I have been a Green Bay Packers fan since I was born. My Dad, a true Wisconsinite, introduced me to sports and the Packers.  When I was 10-years-old, he bought me my first cheese head.  I had to wear a baseball hat under the foam so it would fit.  
 I am now 25-years-old and the Packers are making their 3rd Super Bowl appearance in my lifetime in Arlington, TX at Cowboys Stadium.

The first time I saw the Packers play in a Super Bowl was in 1997 against the New England Patriots.  I was 12-years-old for Super Bowl XXXI (New Orleans) and I have five vivid memorize from watching on TV from our living room. 

1. Brett Favre’s first pass in his first Super Bowl appearance was a touchdown pass.
2. Desmond Howards 99-yard kick return.
3. Antonio Freemen’s 81-yard touchdown reception from Favre.
4. Favre running down the middle of the field holding his helmet high.
5. Reggie White running down the sideline with the Lombardi Trophy.

The Packers ended up killing the Patriots 35-21 but more importantly the Packers brought Vince Lombardi’s trophy back home to Green Bay.

The second time I saw Green Bay play was the following season in 1998 when I was a 6th grader.  My best friend in 6th grade was Ryan Noriega and his favorite team was the Denver Broncos.  It was only fitting that our two teams would meet in Super Bowl XXXII (San Diego).  This match-up was between two future Hall of Fame Quarterbacks, one in the prime of his career in Brett Favre and the other nearing the end of his career in John Elway.  

Even though the Packers lost 31-24, this was the best Super Bowl I had ever seen up-to-date. Watching Terrell Davis run for 3 touchdowns was frustrating.  Especially, when I learned that Davis had a migraine throughout the majority of the game.  Davis was awarded the Super Bowl MVP and to this day I cannot get his touchdown "mile-high salute" out of my head.   

Now, after waiting 13 years, the Packers are returning to the Super Bowl to face the Pittsburgh Steelers in Super Bowl XLV (Dallas). Like the previous two Green Bay super bowls, I will be watching the game in the DC area with friends and family.  I wish I could afford a ticket to go to the BIG GAME but unfortunately, being a recent college graduate; I do not have the luxury yet.  One Day I will go to the Super Bowl to cheer on my GREEN BAY PACKERS in the SUPER BOWL!

Go PACK Go

No comments:

Post a Comment

Marquette Videos

MARQUETTE "PRAY" 2008-2009

Followers